WebVTT Implementation Status
The discussion was build on top of the following aspects:
webkit/blink/presto - started implementing at the same time (one and half year ago) - basic support for the spec is everywhere - ships in various versions
firefox - doesn't ship in the default
ie - ?
Some other preliminary notes (before the discussion on the document):
- rendering is generally lagging in behind and maybe not interoperable
- vttregions aren't shipped anywhere in the end so far
- how to test the very latest features?
- how to find out the lowest common denominator (the common features implemented) ?
- do we want to think about version numbers for the spec? that's what the recommendation track means: fixed feature set
- for the webvtt files? versioning on the web hasn't been a great success
- browsers don't care about version number